Scary Bird

Scary Bird
Bird at Castle Howard - photo by Jeremy Fiest

Friday, October 8, 2010

1000 Words

Sure, I absolutely love the power of words. I'm a writer. But the poetic assembly of words into a narrative form is not simply where my great affinity for storytelling lives and dies. If fact, words are not even my primary source of inspiration -- images are.

Why? Because I'm a visual guy. But maybe it's just like they say -- images are worth 1000 words. Actually, yes, I'd argue that it is exactly like they say.

An image can tell an entire story within the moments of a single glance. Think about it. What story built only of words has this sort of simplistic power?

Nadda.

This may be why I'm so attracted to film and comics. In film, I use moving images to tell a story; however, I still see each shot as a still photo. In the moving shots I'll imagine two, three or ten still images as I continue to re-frame the shot. 

In comics, it's the combination of still images and text -- the two of the most fertile forms of communication coming together, in my opinion.

So, each day, as I'm wandering about, I notice a slew of inspiring images everywhere around me. As a writer, I can see an image, and within moments, have an entire storyline plotted out from start to finish. This is why I will spend hours online every now and then doing nothing but searching through images on Google. It's a great exercise if you're in need of a relaxing way to spend your evening.

In that time I'll find a multitude of images that will spark all sorts of grandiose creative stimulation, but I'll only keep the ones that I find exceptionally powerful -- in fact, I have an entire folder on my computer full of such images.

Well, you get the picture, I'm sure. (Pun intended.)

But just for good form, I did a quick search on the internet and pulled these 10 semi-random images. Each one of them told me a story and inspired me in some way. If they don't do the same for you, that's fine. That just means you need to go out and find your own.

Enjoy.



1 comment:

  1. Resders digest will pay if they like a story, pick up a copy somewhere. "If you dont try it, you wont like it" - yo gabba gabba.

    ReplyDelete